A household manager is probably the most important domestic staff member you will ever hire, and finding the perfect one can make all the difference in how your property functions. Here are some tips to keep in mind when interviewing prospective employees:
- Ask about security: Pose questions about how the individual would handle security in your home, both when you're on the premises and away, and clarify any need for discretion or privacy.
- Detail daily tasks: Make a list of the daily things your household manager will be expected to take care of so that you will know right away if someone isn't right for the position. For example, if your pets need to be cared for, your candidate can't be allergic to animals.
- Determine management style: Try to get a sense of how the person would work with your other household staff. Would their personalities mesh? Is the individual polite and personable, yet direct and efficient?
- Discuss house rules: Establish a list of house rules with your interviewee to make sure you both agree on how your relationship would look. Being direct about expectations and areas or topics that are off-limits will set a clear tone that will make your relationship both productive and professional.
- Make a good match: The most important part of the interview is simply determining if you and the candidate will get along well together. This is the person you will likely be interacting with most, so it's crucial to choose someone you respect and like.
- Take your time: Don't rush the hiring process, even if you need someone to fill the position quickly. You don't want to end up wasting time hiring and firing someone who was never going to be a good fit. Spending that time upfront will save you headaches down the line.
If you need to hire a household manager, contact our domestic staffing agency. We prescreen all candidates and will find you your perfect match.